Frequently asked questions
What are Short Term Income Fund?
UTI Short Term Income fund is an open ended Short Term Debt Scheme investing in instruments such that the Macaulay duration of portfolio is between 1 year and 3 years. (Please refer to page no.15 of SID on which the concept of Macaulay duration has been explained)
Why Invest in UTI Short Term Income Fund?
• The fund predominantly invests in high quality CDs, CPs and corporate bonds with tactical exposure to sovereign instruments like G-Secs, SDLs, etc. to actively manage duration
• The fund is well positioned in the prevailing marketing condition to capture any yield movement in the 1-3 year
How are Short Term Income Fund taxed?
UTI Short Term Income Fund will attract capital gains tax if the redemption value is more than the purchase price. The gains can either be short term or long term in nature.
If you hold units for 3 years or less, the gains made are subject to Short-Term Capital Gains Tax and are taxed as per your income slab. If you hold the units for more than three years, the gains are subject to Long-Term Capital Gains Tax which is taxed at 20% and you would get the benefit of indexation (available to debt funds). Indexation accounts for the effect of inflation in the acquisition purchase cost i.e. the purchase price is increased to adjust for inflation (using an index provided by the Government) before calculating the capital gain. Thus, it reduces the overall tax liability.
Who should invest in UTI Short Term Income Fund?
• Investors who want to build their core debt portfolio for the short to medium term investment horizon
• Investors looking towards reasonable returns and liquidity over short to medium term
• Investors looking for alternative avenues to traditional fixed income avenues like bank deposit, bonds, etc.
• Conservative investors having an investment horizon of 1 to 3 years may look at this fund
How to invest in UTI Short Term Income Fund?
Investors can simply log on to utimf.com or use UTI Mutual Fund Application and start investing subject to KYC compliance. Investors may also approach nearest UTI Financial Centers (UFCs). Alternatively, you may also approach your mutual fund distributor, financial advisor or various online platform for investments.
What are the benefits of investing in UTI Short Term Income Fund
• UTI Short Term Income Fund maintains a well-diversified portfolio of money market and debt instruments while it tactically allocates to government securities
• The fund aims to generate reasonable returns with low risk and high liquidity from a portfolio of money market and debt securities